Tuesday, January 29, 2019

RA Interview

College students have lots of options to consider if they want to get more involved
on campus. There are varsity and intramural athletics, musical ensembles, Greek
life groups, religious organizations, service clubs, pre-professional groups, and
more to explore. A student can also choose to be a part of ResLife and apply to
become a Resident Assistant, or RA.

Last Sunday was the interview day for potential Resident Assistants for the
2019-2020 academic year. Dress for the event was professional attire and the
day lasted about three hours.

The interview day consisted of individual interviews, group interviews, and a
discussion with the three staff members from ResLife.

There were about sixty-four or sixty-five applicants for a total of about thirty-two
to thirty-four spots. The advantage went to the boys because their proportion of
applicants to spots open was lower than the girls.

This day was a big deal because the position was completely on the line. Applicants
submitted an online application, went to the interview day, and the decision will be
made from those two components. There is no second interview. Applicants have
a month-long wait ahead, and in all honesty I feel like the wait will be harder than
the actual application process.

This interview event is important outside of the Resident Assistant aspect. The day
was set up in a similar format that employers may use in their hiring process. Basically,
it was a full-on job interview in every aspect, from the dress code required
to the actual interview process to the importance of the position.

At the very least, I can say that I put myself out there and gained that extra experience
that will hopefully benefit me when I am applying for internships or jobs. Even if I do
not receive the position the whole process was certainly not a waste of time because
now I have that experience under my belt. At the very best, I will have earned the
position and gained the experience.

As an RA I would meet so many new people and be the liaison between Ohio Northern
University and its students. This is a job that I am excited to do and I hope I get the
chance to do it!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool to hear about the interview process of becoming an RA at ONU. You must have learned a lot from this experience and you can probably take this experience and utilize it when you are interviewing for jobs after school. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered applying to be an RA earlier in the year but decided against it. I am glad to hear about the process it surprised me when I initially read to hear how many applicants there were. Although I am not surprised to hear more girls the guys applied. Good luck on your wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting hearing about the process you have to go through. I had thought about applying to be one my sophomore year, but I decided against it. I hope you get the position! Sounds like a great learning experience, too.

    ReplyDelete

Chapter 6 Reading

Chapter 6 in our class book Social Media for Strategic Communication is called Strategic Planning for Social Media . We have discussed in c...