Sunday, February 10, 2019

Expect the Unexpected

Quit trying to predict all of the things you will do. There is something that you will do in six
months, one year or even ten years from now that you have never heard about or considered
\doing just yet.

Exactly one year ago I was a high school senior. I still had not decided on where I would
be attending college. I started to get more and more anxious because the majority of my
senior class peers knew where their homes would be in the fall. I was weighing my options
every day and considered financial aid, distance, school size, transferable credits and more
into my decision making algorithm.

Later on in the spring I decided on attending Ohio Northern University for a multitude of
reasons. I knew it would be very possible to try band and after some research, going to
Summer Orientation and listening to how easy it was to join my decision to try it was made.

All summer I was so excited (and a little nervous) to get marching band started up again.

I got to move in a week early and that was so helpful because I got an extra week to get
acquainted to campus. By the time the rest of the incoming freshman and returning students
arrived, I already knew students from every college and every year.

Before starting college I was very apprehensive of sororities and fraternities. I did not
know much about them but they did not seem like something I would be interested in.

I found out that there are national band service sororities and fraternities that exist on
campus. Tau Beta Sigma is the sorority and Kappa Kappa Psi is the fraternity, although
both are co-ed. Some of my newest (and currently closest) friends are in those organizations.
I never would have been able to predict that because I had no idea that there was such a
thing as a “band service sorority”. Since I had no idea that those organizations existed,
there is no way I could have predicted that I would have fit in so well with them.

From the first week of band camp I was drawn to members of Tau Beta Sigma. Several
members of my section are in TBS and I felt really comfortable with them. I hoped early
on that I could eventually become a member of TBS and help the band become even better.

Fast forward a few months and recruiting events later to the present day and I have
officially completed First Degree of Tau Beta Sigma! This weekend we had a ceremony
and I received my Big Sister! She is one of my closest friends and I am so excited she is my Big.

I am eager to move forward in the upcoming steps to become a full member of Tau Beta
Sigma, which will happen in just a short month.

You never know what life is going to offer you. Do not close yourself off to new experiences
because you never know what you may miss.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I try to live by "expect the unexpected" and just go with the flow of life. It sounds like joining marching band was a great way to transition into college. Congrats on getting your Big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good example of not planning too far in advance. Personally, I am a planner and I love to make sure everything is going to go perfectly as planned and everything has a time and reason. I will definitely try and be more spontaneous! I'm glad you found a home here at ONU and continue to make lots of memories and have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Chapter 6 Reading

Chapter 6 in our class book Social Media for Strategic Communication is called Strategic Planning for Social Media . We have discussed in c...