Monday, February 18, 2019

Live-tweeting at Relay for Life

One of our assignments for Social Media Principles is to live-tweet an event.

I have never live-tweeted an event before so this was a new challenge for me.
According to our assignment guidelines, an effective live-tweet session had to be
at least 45 minute long, include at least one retweet, a visual, and relevant updates
on the event. Relay for Life would cover all of those points so I figured it would be a
good event to do!

Relay for Life is an annual event put on by Colleges Against Cancer to raise money
for cancer research. Different campus organizations create teams to support the event.
Over eight thousand dollars were raised for the American Cancer Society.

I knew I would already be at Relay for my team Tau Beta Sigma so it would be convenient
for me to cover it. Relay for Life is a unique event as well because it only happens once a
year. It seemed like an interesting topic to cover that was different from an athletic event.

There were different groups that performed and activities that went on to tweet and take
pictures of so I did not run out of material.

The Luminaria ceremony was an emotional part of the night. We honored those who have
battled or are currently battling cancer by lighting luminarias and glow sticks while silently
walking around the track. Cancer has affected everyone in some way, shape, or form. My
family, teachers, and loved ones have had to fight this awful disease. I have seen the
repercussions it has had on survivors and wish that no one would ever have to fight that
battle again.

On the bright side, @RelayforLife liked a few of my tweets! How cool is that for someone
who has minimal Twitter experience? My Twitter account is @JcClagg if you want to check
out my live-tweet session from this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad I didn't get to go to relay for life. I was so happy that I got to experience it through your live tweets though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to go to Relay for Life so bad! I used to go every year before college for about 6 years. I'll have to check out your live-tweets!

    ReplyDelete

Chapter 6 Reading

Chapter 6 in our class book Social Media for Strategic Communication is called Strategic Planning for Social Media . We have discussed in c...