Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Choreographers' Showcase

Ohio Northern University celebrated 25 years of the Dance Department this weekend with the Choreographers’ Showcase.

The week leading up to the performance was extremely busy because it was Tech Week. Rehearsals had extended hours and towards the end of the week we held several dress
rehearsals and full show run-throughs. All the work was totally worth the final product!

Last year at this time I was unsure of where I would be attending college. I had never felt certain
that I would have the chance to dance outside of high school. Little did I know I would
perform on stage so soon after graduation!

Auditions for the Choreographers’ Showcase were in December so the process of the
production has been in the works for a little while. A sample of choreography was taught to
the entire group of prospective dancers. After the choreography was taught, the potential
cast was split into about five to seven groups. These groups would perform the choreography usually no more than ten minutes after it was introduced. Choreographers would decide
who they liked in each group, scribbled some notes and the process began for the next choreographer.

I was selected to be in an Indian folk dance choreographed by Mansee Singhi. The piece
consisted of a medley of four songs but the entire dance lasted less than five minutes. The costumes were vibrant, colorful and very fun to dance in. This was probably one of my
favorite costumes because it was so eye-catching and bright.

The other dance I was cast in was choreographed by Brenda Hoyt-Brackman. It was entitled “Gathering of Spirits” and it was done to honor Laurie Bell, who is retiring from the Dance Department after many years. This piece was a lyrical or contemporary style of dance. It was especially unique because dancers included current ONU students, ONU Alumni, Laurie Bell and her daughter. The costumes were loose pants and flowing tank tops. The current ONU students were dressed in teal, purple and navy while the alumni were dressed
in red and yellow. I wish I had pictures to share of the performers on stage but I do not have
access to the photos yet.

Going through the process of being in the Choreographers’ Showcase is something that I
will treasure. It was fun to learn and perform two totally different style pieces in front of an
audience.

The cast and crew of the production has taken down the set and the process is now fully
completed. I am already looking forward to next year’s Showcase!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 6 Reading

Chapter 6 in our class book Social Media for Strategic Communication is called Strategic Planning for Social Media . We have discussed in c...