Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Weekend of Performances

How did you spend your weekend? I spent mine mostly at performances! On Saturday morning,
my mom and I went to go see my cousin perform in her high school musical. She was an Ancestor
in The Addams Family. I have seen The Addams Family musical be performed by a high school
before and I really enjoyed it, but that was several years ago so I was looking forward to watching
it again. The cast was really talented and all of the main characters were strong singers. If you
know next to nothing about musicals, I would recommend you check out The Addams Family if
you ever have a chance. It has a fun plot and plenty of jokes that are targeted to a more mature
audience, yet it is still appropriate for teens to perform.



I was really proud of my cousin because I know she put a lot of hard work, time, and effort into
being a part of this production. As someone who has been involved in productions before, I
understand how much it takes to make the show the best final product it can be. I am happy
she enjoyed herself and she plans on being in the musical again next year.


On Sunday, I went to the 13th International Play Festival at Ohio Northern University. The play this
year was Hayavadana, which drew from old Sanskrit stories. The plot was about two best friends
who were so close they were like brothers, but they both fall for the same girl. I will not spoil the
plot but it was certainly an entertaining story.



I was not expecting to know most of the cast in Hayavadana. Many of the performers were
freshman musical theater majors and several of them are in my Modern 1 dance class. I also
knew a few older musical theater majors from my Tap 1 dance class I took last semester. The
play was even more enjoyable because the students who were involved in it.


Lastly, on Sunday night I attended the Symphony Concert. Several of my friends and now Tau
Beta Sigma sisters play in the Symphony so I went to support them. The Symphony played
Antonin Dvorak’s New World Symphony. It was fun to listen to that piece because the marching
band played an excerpt of it for our halftime show last season.



Hans Utter played the sitar, a traditional Indian instrument, with the Symphony for several songs. He
played during intermission as well. The ONU Gospel Choir also performed during the concert and
they sang a few songs while the Symphony provided backing music.

Overall it was a weekend well spent. I love to go to performing arts productions because I like
to support the arts. I enjoy watching live productions and listening to live music, plus I think it
is important to support your friends and family in their passions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 6 Reading

Chapter 6 in our class book Social Media for Strategic Communication is called Strategic Planning for Social Media . We have discussed in c...