Monday, January 21, 2019

Hello, nice to meet you!

My name is Jordan Clagg and I am a public relations major from Findlay, Ohio!


This is my first year at Ohio Northern University and so far I am loving my choice of college.
The class that I am writing this blog for, Social Media Principles, is part of the core courses
I must take to complete my public relations major. This is also my first class taught by Aggie,
so wish me luck because I have a few more of her classes to take :)

At Ohio Northern University, I have the opportunity to pursue a Bachelor of Arts
and continue with my passion for participating in the performing arts. I love listening to
and making music. I played the piccolo in the Ohio Northern University Marching Band
this past fall. Now that football season is over, I will be performing in the Symphonic
and Pep bands for the current semester.


Here is a picture of my amazing piccolo section! This was taken right before we marched
in a parade for Ada's annual Harvest and Herb Festival.

I also love to dance and decided on pursing a dance minor! My dance minor includes
courses in ballet, modern, choreography, dance and culture, and other dance technique
electives such as tap or jazz. So far, I completed Tap 1 during the fall and this spring semester
I am taking Modern 1.

In December, I auditioned for the Choreographer’s Showcase and fortunately was cast in two dances.
One song is called "Gathering of Spirits" and the dance is choreographed by Brenda Hoyt-Brackman.
It is a farewell/celebration in honor of Laurie Bell, who has been a faculty member of the ONU
Dance Company for many years and is now retiring. The other dance I will be performing in
is an Indian-inspired piece taught by guest choreographer Mansee Singhi. Rehearsals for the dances
have been underway for almost a week now and I am excited for the performance to arrive!
The Choreographer’s Showcase is on Saturday, February 2 at 7:00 pm and Sunday, February 3
at 2:00 pm. If you are interested, tickets can be purchased at the Freed Center box office or online.

I am eager to pursue my second, newly developed minor, which is leadership studies. One of the
core classes to accomplish the minor is Introduction to Leadership Studies. There are mostly
upperclassmen in Intro; in fact, I am the only first-year student. This course is being offered for the
first time this semester and is taught by Kathie Fleck, head of the leadership studies minor and
public relations professor. Within the week one of class, I have learned that there is a leadership
shortage in today’s companies and brands. My goal before the end of Intro is to gain more
knowledge on how to refine my leadership skills so that I can help fill that gap in the future.

Stay tuned to hear more about my adventures at ONU and other interesting PR/social media topics.
Thank you for checking out my first post!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that you picked up a minor in something "fun" and something that you love. As a senior, I regret not doing something fun with my minor. Have fun with it!
    Also, I wish leadership studies were a minor earlier in my college career. It sounds really interesting! I would have picked it up, too.

    ReplyDelete

Chapter 6 Reading

Chapter 6 in our class book Social Media for Strategic Communication is called Strategic Planning for Social Media . We have discussed in c...